It is pretty common for people of all ages to colour their hair with trendy colours. In today’s world, it is more than a fashion. It does not only makes your look different but boost your personality and confidence.
Lately, hair colouring has been so much into fashion that people opt for colouring hair at home. And if they gather a bit more knowledge before that, they use toner to neutralise their hair. But sometimes, it can go overboard, and they end up using too much ash toner, leaving it unnaturally grey.
If you are struggling with such a disaster and worrying about how to remove ash toner from hair, this article has the answer.
What Is Ash Toner?
Hair professionals in salons generally use ash or grey toner to get rid of your hair’s orange and brassy tone. Here is how and why-
- During the bleaching process, your hair molecules break down and start losing the protein that darkens your hair. Thus, your hair begins to lightening which is called “lifting”.
- Typically, a level 9 to 10 lifting can lighten your hair completely blonde, leaving a hint of yellow.
- However, if your hair expert opts for a level 5 to 6 lifting, it can lighten your hair into a brassy tone.
- This is when an ash toner plays the most crucial part. It is applied to neutralise your hair colour by adding a cool tone and bringing down the orange tone.
5 Easy Ways to Remove Ash Toner From Your Hairat Home
A normal person primarily makes the mistake of overusing ash toner. So, if you are already one of them, then these steps are your answer to how to remove ash toner from hair.
Use a Clarifying Shampoo
This shampoo contains ingredients that are much stronger than other regular shampoos. Such ingredients are citric acid and acetic that easily wash off the colour.
How to use:
Step 1: Detangle your hair and wet it with slightly warm water.
Step 2:Take the clarifying shampoo in a generous amount and massage it gently from root to tip, priorly on the ashy parts.
Step 3:Then leave it on for 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 4:rinse your hair with warm water to open the hair cuticles and wash the colour off easily.
Use of a Color Remover
Another great option is colour remover which usually contains a mild level of bleach. The bleach in the remover is very low and gentle, hence not damaging your hair.
How to use:
Step 1: Purchase a toner that is appropriate for your ashy hair.
Step 2: Follow the instruction on the box carefully to make the mixture properly.
Step 3: Apply the mixture once it is done and concentrate more on the ashy parts.
Step 4: Let it rest on your hair for the time recommended in the instruction.
Step 5:Wash it off with cold water.
Try a Bleach Wash or Bath
Bleach wash sounds intimidating, but it is not if done correctly. You do not want to mess up this time, so read the instructions carefully.
How to use:
Step 1: Prepare a mixture of 1:1:1 of clarifying shampoo, bleach and volume 10 developer.
Step 2:Apply it thoroughly on dry hair, especially on the ashy bits. Make sure your hair is not wet or oily before this process, as it can hinder the toner lifting process.
Step 3:Keep in mind to not apply it to the roots.
Step 4:Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse it with normal or cold water.
Step 5: Apply a mild and sulphate or paraben-free shampoo to wash off all the bleach from your hair.
Mix Baking Soda with Shampoo
If you want to go simple, grab some baking soda from your kitchen and mix it with your shampoo to make a DIY toner remover.
How to use:
Step 1:Take a bowl and mix baking soda and shampoo.
Step 2: Apply the paste on your hair and massage gently.
Step 3: Let it rest for a while.
Step 4:Rinse it with normal or cold water.
Mix Lemon Juice and Conditioner
You can also mix your conditioner with a good amount of lemon juice. This will act as a toner remover along with conditioning your hair.
How to use:
Step 1:Squeeze a little bit of conditioner and half a lemon juice in a bowl and mix.
Step 2: Apply the mixture to your hair after shampooing. Make sure not to apply it on roots as conditioner can make your scalp greasy after washing.
Step 3:Massage thoroughly and keep it for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 4:Wash it off with water.
Mix Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
Baking soda and Hydrogen Peroxide can make an excellent toner remover together. Both these components have bleaching properties that can take of the unwanted ash toner.
How to use:
Step 1:Take baking soda and Hydrogen Peroxide in a bowl and make a paste with water. Be careful not to make the paste too thick or runny.
Step 2:Generously apply it to cover the whole hair leaving the roots.
Step 3:Leave it for a few minutes on your head.
Step 4:Rinse it with water and follow it with shampoo and conditioner.
Tips to Take Care of Your Hair After Removing Ash Toner
All these processes may not be harmful to your hair but can affect it to some extent. This is why your hair needs proper care to hold its nourishment and shine. Follow the pro tips below to take care of your hair after removing ash toner:
- Avoid any chemical treatment and opt for natural hair care. Bay leaves can make one of the best hair care treatments at home. It is rich in antioxidants that help in hair growth, deep nourishment and fight inflammation. Boil a bunch of leaves with water and apply it to damp hair before shampooing.
- Oil your hair and give your scalp a good massage at night before washing your head. You can use coconut oil, almond oil or any light oil of your choice. This will stimulate blood circulation, generate hair growth and keep your hair healthy.
- Apply ample conditioner every time you wash your hair to nourish your hair deeply. Also, have patience while conditioning your hair as you need to massage your hair and leave the conditioner for 10-15 minutes.
In conclusion, we can say that toner is an outstanding product to make your hair look more natural. It is not harmful to your hair if you use the correct one in the right way.
However, using it at home without any expert help is when people tend to mess it up. So, it is better to invest a little in your hair and visit a professional hairdresser. You will indeed get the desired result when you leave it in the trusted hands.