There are two kidneys in the human body. Its function is to filter waste as well as regulate other body functions. There are, however, risks of any of the kidney failure or even both due to diseases or other ailments. Whatever be the issue, or be it just any one of the kidneys, it is important to restore the body’s normal functioning. With kidney transplant cost in India being affordable, the patient is offered several treatment choices these days, some of which are given below:
- Kidney transplantation: It includes the replacement of a failed kidney with that of a healthy one from the donor.
- Peritoneal dialysis: It includes the usage of belly lining to filter blood within the body.
- Haemodialysis: It includes equipment to filter out blood from the body.
The kidneys’ basic function will be to eliminate waste, minerals and excess fluid from the blood & to clean it. These organs are equally responsible to create hormones to keep the bones strong and maintain healthy flowing blood. Failure is likely to impact greatly upon the body’s normal functioning. There may build up to harmful wastes and an increase in blood pressure may be noticed, while the body is likely to retain excess fluid and not be in a position to generate a sufficient amount of red blood cells.
Three treatment options available
- Peritoneal dialysis: There are used lining from the abdomen or the belly to filter waste created in blood. The lining is referred to as the peritoneal membrane, which aptly acts as an artificial kidney. Its function is to eliminate excess salts and water from the body. A common side effect noticed from this treatment form is peritonitis, cited to be a serious type of abdominal infection. The opening created for allowing the catheter to enter the body is also infected. It can, however, get treated if the situation is reported to the doctor immediately.
- Haemodialysis: There is used equipment to eliminate temporarily the body of unwanted salts and harmful wastes. It also helps to control blood pressure and ensures that it does not rise. At the same time, it balances the other vital chemicals present in the body like bicarbonate, calcium, sodium, and potassium. There are, however, few side effects that may emerge from the infection. The blockage may be experienced caused due to clotting of blood including the poor flow of blood. Hypertension and muscle cramps caused due to a sudden drop in blood pressure have been cited to be other types of side effects. but with proper and timely medication and a balanced diet, as suggested by the doctor can help avoid unwanted side effects.
- Kidney transplant: The damaged kidney is replaced surgically with that of a healthy one. this surgical process is termed as kidney transplantation. The patient tested for blood type, cross-matching antigens, and human leukocyte antigens. This form of treatment is perhaps the closest one to provide a cure. New kidney, however, requires to be carefully matched to avail replacement. Technically, even if the donor is found to be the perfect match to meet the patient’s requirements, chances are there of the patient’s body rejecting the new kidney. The common cause for such an issue to take place is not taking medication as prescribed by the medical expert. What one has to understand is that the medicines are prescribed to stop the body’s immune system from attacking the new kidney, thereby considering it to be a foreign body, thereby causing rejection.
Signs & symptoms to know
A good number of people are not known to display any specific symptoms or signs which will clearly indicate kidney failure. The kidneys during the early stages of the onset of the disease can compensate well for impairments resulting in their functions. Obvious symptoms are witnessed if the conditions become critical or severe. This type of failure, however, is not painful. The symptoms show on other body parts and their functionalities. At times, kidney failures may be due to fluid retention. One reason for kidneys to fail is severe dehydration. The other things to check out are urgency and frequency of urination, urine experienced being less than the usual loss of appetite, vomiting, pale skin or nausea. The best hospitals not only charge low kidney transplant costs in India but also offer superior quality treatment.
More Read: 10 Signs That You Need to Drink More Water Immediately