If you suffer from any dental issue such as gum problems, dental pain and denture problems then you need to consult with a dentist. Dentists can make your smile good and you can wear some denture, or you can make some correction of your dental settings to look good. Apart from that, dentists can also provide you various services and they can detect the oral cancel and identify the issue of your jaw problems. To maintain your hygiene and ensure best oral health, you must consult with a dentist on regular basis.
Work of a Dentist
- Treating all health problems and illnesses related to the mouth, gums, and teeth is ordinarily known as dentistry. Dental or oral cares, correction of jaw, dental surgery, and medical treatment of teeth are what dentistry is concerned all about. Apart from that, cosmetology in which corrective treatment is provided by few dentists.
- A dentist, in addition to his or her routine duty, will also have to know about the extraction of tooth or teeth, fitting dentures, surgery related to the mouth, filling and even replacement of extracted teeth which is done through surgery. Moreover, cleaning of teeth and teeth whitening is also provided by dentists.
- Most importantly, a dentist should or may have to educate and aware patients regarding the ways in which they can preserve and also nourish a healthy mouth. They can give you some suggestions for your oral health.
Educational Qualification to be a Dentist
Educational criteria for becoming a dentist should be well known to aspiring dentists. Of course, the need for a basic degree course in dental science cannot be overlooked. Bachelor of Dental Science is a must. Completion of 12th standard examination is necessary. You have to pass a national level exam to be eligible to study dentistry in a reputed and good medical college as it adds to your profile.
The academic study will usually be over after 4 years. Then you can go for an internship. Internship period is very important as you will get to know a lot of things practically. You may have to take Basic Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Microbiology in the first 2 years of the course. In fact, specialization and hands-on training will be provided in the last 2 semesters.
Specialties in Dentistry
- Endodontics: it is the treatment of pulp or the internal tissue of the tooth. Pulp is made up of blood vessels and nerves. Root canal treatment and other treatments and procedures required in the pulp of the internal tissue are performed by an endodontist.
- Orthodontist: An orthodontist is an expert who is involved in the straightening and alignment of teeth. An orthodontist also treats ailment involving bones in and around the mouth.
- Periodontics: A periodontist treats ailments involving gums and other tissues around the tooth.
- Prosthodontics: A prosthodontist is concerned with cosmetic dentistry and how your teeth appear.
- Pediatric Dentist: A pediatric dentist is concerned with treating children’s teeth problems and diseases.
Skills of a Dentist
- A dentist is able to perform manual dexterity and other technical dental skills. A good dentist has the skill to maintain extreme concentration for a longer period of times.
- A good dentist has good communicative skills and can build a relationship with patients to make them comfortable. A dentist must work with people from every age group and from different backgrounds.
Dentistry is a noble job as a dentist cures people’s dental problem, and we all know how painful a dental problem can be. Next time you meet a dentist wish and thank him/her for their kind service.